Saturday 4 July 2009

'She has lost all hope'

I was walking from the apartment to the shopping center with a friend of mine via a short cut that is essentially a dusty track that runs parallel to the beach into the back of the center. The weather suddenly changed and it started to absolutely pour rain so we both started to run for shelter.

As I was running, I caught sight of a tiny elderly woman just sitting on the side of the trail staring into space. She was making no effort to move out of the rain and was clutching a plastic bag with some documentation in it. I initially ran past her but something about her stare caused me to pause.

I looked back and she was still sitting there staring into space getting drenched.

I asked my friend to go and talk with her and to encourage her to take some shelter. My friend Susan is a beautiful, sensitive African woman who I knew would be able to speak with the old woman in Kiswahili.

I stood back into an alcove and waited for Susan to return.

About 5 minutes later, Susan returned with tears in here eyes and explained the situation.

'This woman is very ill and has been told to leave her house to bring in some food. She has just spent her money on the drugs she needs to treat her Tuberculosis but she has nothing left. That is the drugs she is clutching....' she said.

I asked why was she not seeking shelter out of the rain if she had TB.

There was a pause. She lowered her head and then looked up with tears running down her cheeks.

'She has lost all hope' Susan said.

The combination of the story, Susan's distress and these five words tore at my heart. You see poverty like this every day here and its impossible to react appropriately to every situation. Sometimes I wonder is there something wrong with me when I do not react to the desperate need more often. You are told by all 'development experts' that you need to focus on higher level intervention when faced with poverty so that you do not create dependency. However as I stared over at the frail old woman sitting on the side of the road I decided to ignore this reasoning and go with my heart. I would do something utterly unsustainable but that might give the woman some hope.

I went into the shopping center with Susan and with her guidance bought some basic groceries: milk, bread, eggs, flour, rice, yogurt, fruit, some cake and a packet of sweets. It cost about 15 euros - an absolute pittance.

I asked Susan to give the lady the food - it just seemed more appropriate that I keep a background role.

I watched as the two woman talked to one another. They held hands in a most gentle way and began to converse. The rain was still pouring down but it did not seem as bad for some reason as the two women ignored it. The smile on both their faces was truly beautiful when the bag of groceries was handed over. Susan then gave the lady 20 schillings for her bus fare home.

They walked hand in hand as they passed by the alcove I was effectively hiding in. Susan then waved goodbye to the old lady who was still smiling.

I know that what I did was not sustainable. I know that next week when I am gone the lady may well be in the exact same situation and who knows if anybody will be there to help. Perhaps though, that is just the way it works. If we all give in small ways and encourage others to do the same we create a safety net of care.

And honestly speaking, if smiles that wonderful could be bought for 15 euros every day I would buy them in abundance.....

Epilogue

The story above happened about 5 days ago and I wasn't going to write it down (mainly because of the criticism I would deservedly face!). However, I just met the old woman again a few minutes ago which made me change my mind... She was walking by the side of the road, near the same shopping center, with a smart shawl on her shoulders and although she looked frail she also looked happy. She recognised me and gave me a big wave and a beaming smile. This one was for free.....

No comments: