Saturday 30 June 2007

Arrived in Nairobi

Well I have arrived. By the far the most challenging part of the journey was to get through the enormous traffic in Dublin airport at 5.30am in the morning to get the flight to London. Gone are the days when you could arrive 30 minutes before a flight and be sure you would get it. I honestly could not believe how busy the airport was....

I am staying with the Mill Hill missionaries whilst in Nairobi. I was chatting with two of the priests this morning and was put to shame. Both men have spent over 40 years each in Kenya and had amazing stories of both success and disaster. That they had devoted their lives to serving people in need really struck me. I could not help but feel regret that people like this are not celebrated any more....

One man is heading to his home in Clare this evening. Most of his family have passed away. He will be hardly welcomed at all. Only last week, after discovering that a thief had broken into his house in Western Kenya, he saved the young man (trying to feed a drug habit) by fending off a lynching mob. He pleaded with the mob, armed with machettes, to spare the life of the thief....

Isn't this sad that people like this are not celebrated?

Anyway before I forget my phone number in Kenya is:

+254 721 239 658

Not that I am expecting you to ring but just in case you fancy texting me!

All good so far...

Gary

No comments: