Monday 25 June 2007

A good start!


I met one of my great hero's, Bishop Desmond Tutu, on Sunday. He was in Dublin presenting awards for the Niall Mellon Township Trust. I actually met Desmond Tutu in 1989 in remarkable circumstances. I was on my way to a Taize meeting in Wroclaw in Poland, was reading his biography 'Tutu: Voice of the Voiceless' by Shirley Du Boulay, in Heathrow, lifted my head and discovered him sitting two seats away from me in the waiting area. He was on holidays in the UK and waiting for a friend of his to arrive into Heathrow. We had an amazing conversation and he wrote something really special in my book which has meant a huge amount to me ever since. Me being me, I forgot to bring the book to the event hoping he might write something else! However, he loved the camara project and encouraged me to stay with it....a good start indeed!

No comments: